Apple officially announced the new iPad today in San Francisco, CA. The new iPad 3 is a big step up from the iPad 2 in many ways.
Follow the updates below as they come in to us:
– Retina Display, 2048 by 1536 pixels
– A5X quad-core graphics
– iSight camera, auto exposure, auto focus, HD video recording in 1080p, auto face detection, image stabilization, 5 megapixel camera on back
– Voice dictation, microphone key on bottom like iPhone 4S, tap to speak
– 4G LTE, new wireless technology
– Fast 3G HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA networking
– Still 10 hours of battery life, 9 hours on 4G
– Pre-orders start today, on sale March 16
– WiFi + 4G: 16GB, $629 | 32GB, $729 | 64GB, $829
– WiFi Only: 16GB, $499 | 32GB, $599 | 64GB, $699 – same as previous iPads
– Apple iOS apps like iWork, Garage Band, iPhoto and iMovie have been updated with new features
– Lots of new effects, options and manipulation possibilities with iPhoto and iMovie
– iPad 2 not being phased out, starting now at $399
The Apple website has been updated to include “the new iPad“, not referred to as iPad 3 or iPad HD.
MIC Gadget put together a video using iPad 3 parts to show us what we might get very soon. It looks like your magnetic Smart Cover for the iPad 2 will work with iPad 3 as well.
Rumors of a smaller iPad, with a 7.85 inch screen, are still being heard. Digitimes has some more information, including new manufacturers possibly being used. The Wall Street Journal also chimed in with mention of a smaller iPad that may be released before the holiday season later in 2012 but also warned that Apple may never even release it at all.
9to5mac.com reported Apple will be keeping the same storage capacity and prices for iPad 3 as we have seen with previous iPads.
Bloomberg news is reporting the much anticipated LTE technology found in some smartphones (coming to iPhone this summer?) will be seen in Apple’s next generation tablet, iPad 3. The new device is rumored to be launching some time this March.
iPad 3 will see LTE before iPhone 5 because the tablet has a bigger battery and is better able to handle the power requirements.
LTE, or Long Term Evolution, is the next step in the 4G wireless world. It’s basically an easier way to deploy network technology, offering high speeds over long distances.
According to Japanese website MacOtakara, a Chinese source is reporting Apple iPad and iPhone manufacturer Foxconn will produce most of the next-generation iPads and will be responsible for 85% of output. Pegatron, another Apple manufacturer, will handle the remaining 15% of production.
“This first lot production implements LCD’s, which are produced by Sharp Electronics Corporation, and aims to be shipped at early March.”
Some other interesting notes from the report include moving the connection point of the Smart Cover magnets, several form-fitted iPad 2 cases may not work with the next iPad, and the new device will still retain the rounded corner look. There’s also talk that the new iPad may be called iPad 2S and not iPad 3. This naming issue may effect when the iPad 4 is released.
As if the iPad 3 rumors weren’t enough, let’s jump ahead to rumors of the next iPad version after the one that hasn’t even been officially announced yet. Yes, people are already starting to talk about iPad 4. Well, at least some Taiwan component makers.
The somewhat reliable DigiTimes says there could be an October 2012 launch of a 9.7 inch iPad 4, according to sources in Taiwan. This may be a move by Apple to compete with new Android and Windows software and hardware coming out later this year in the fourth quarter.
iPadNewsUpdates.com is not affiliated with Apple Computer, Inc. or any one of Apple's group of companies. Apple, the Apple logo, iPad, and all other Apple products and services are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc. in the USA and other countries.